Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Second Experience


Going back to the Nelson Art Gallery to refresh my memory, I expected myself to be reminded but not again fully moved by the beautiful quilts. However, upon entering, I looked upon each quilt with an even greater appreciation--awing me all the same. Even though all of them beautiful in their own unique way, the same quilt caught my full and utmost attention. I decided this one was my favorite and captivated me the most because of its relatability to my life and its personality (if this quilt were a person, I would want to be their friend!).



In creating quilts, pattern--the repetition and basis of a design, and rhythm--the beat or meter of the design, have a lot to do with how the design is interpreted by the viewer and therefore, influences its construction. Viewing a piece is a total body experience--taken in by all the senses--whether optically or perhaps haptically. I could feel the plush warm corduroy with my eyes even though not tangibly touching the piece.


The quilt’s pattern was haphazardly organized. The squiggly lines of many different bold colors captivated my eyes and reminded me of a beautiful sunset. They were constructed in a pattern of juxtaposed blocks of horizontal and vertical lines. However, these lines were not parallel. They flowed and weaved back and forth. This created a natural rhythm to the piece--that of a calm flow of nature. Even though the quilt obviously did not talk, it exuded a kind of song. The song that went through my head was Joshua Radin’s heart-felt melody, I’d Rather be with You. These elements united the piece while making it unique.


(To listen to the song on Youtube, click here!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIADdtY9pQA&feature=fvw)

(Thanks for the photo go to http://nelsonga.ipower.com/archives/Sharecropper%27s%20Masterpiece.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment